Antwerp, Belgium – April 27th 2012

IMG_1140

It was closer to 11pm when I finally got to Brussels Belgium. I was going to search for a hostile but as i walked around the station to look at a map to see how far away the Grozrock festival I noticed a ton of homeless people eyeing me that were actually living in the station. When I got the map two police men walked up to me and said what are you doing? I told them looking to get to Meerhout. They said the trains wont run late enough to get there but you need to get out of here. There are a lot of theives here and I can see them following you. Go to Antwerp and find a place to stay there, its on the way to Meerhout. I wasn’t about to question what he told me and hopped on a train. The ticketman told me that same about trains not running any longer and that when we arrived at the station it would close. I asked someone next to me if he had heard of the town I was tying to get to but he didn’t. Great where am I going. Luckily he spoke english very well and knew of the festival the more I talked to him. I asked about hostiles and he said he would point me in the right way when we got off. The more we talked I found out he used to like hardcore and used to love MADBALL. I could not believe it. At that time he offered a place to stay at his house. I was blown away. It was too nice. We walked though Antwerp it was a great town with a ton of character.  I learned my hosts name was Ral kind of like Ralf. He was 27 and very informative about all the buildings and how the people were. He told me that all the buildings with old architecture were not aloud to be taken down in remodeling only newer buildings could be brought down. I thought that was cool because all the houses looked sweet. It was around 12pm and the city way fairly empty but I noticed bicycles everywhere! I really liked the town. The weather was definitely better than the UK’s weather but still not the best. After about a 20 minute walk though this clean, empty looking like the eye of the storm, we arrived at the house. We went though a series of doors and got to his studio. He pulled out a blowup mattress for me, asked a few friends if they had room in their cars for me to the festival and then looked up what train and bus I would take in the morning.


IMG_1135

We woke up around 8am and he even let me take a shower! It was amazing! Then he had cereal read for breakfast after I begged to buy him breakfast but he wouldn’t let me. He then walked me half way to the train station and we said goodbye. I told him, that I felt like he was a friend of a friend the way he went out of his way for me. I couldn’t believe how well I was taken care of.

IMG_1143 IMG_1137

Belgium… A lot of bikes.

IMG_1139